Sunday 27 January 2013

Daily Gosho - The Unanimous Declaration by the Buddhas of the Three Existences regarding the Classification of the Teachings and Which Are to be Abandoned and Which Upheld


In our discussion meeting last week, we spoke about Karma and how what part karma plays in our lives. Gosho extract below reminds me of the concept of "thought, word, deed" and that our karma is made up from all three. In my days prior to meeting the practice, I had a strong tendency to slander those around me - thinking it, voicing it and creating slanderous causes. One of the many benefits I've received from practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism has been to really recognise that tendency about myself, and purify it through chanting.  
I'm not perfect; during my lesser-self days, I have to fight this tendency, but you know, that's why I chant. To take responsibility for my life, and make continual efforts for self-improvement. It's a journey, but I know I'm on the right road :)

"Words echo the thoughts of the mind and find expression through the voice."

(The Unanimous Declaration by the Buddhas of the Three Existences regarding the Classification of the Teachings and Which Are to be Abandoned and Which Upheld - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 2, page 843) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, October 18th, 2012

2 comments:

  1. the critical point in my 20 years chanting experience is COERENCE. I mean it is easy to set great objective and chant for that, but it is more difficult to behave in every day life according to such a statement.
    this is the key for kosen rufu however, because U can talk in a fluent way and express properly principles and benefits from buddism, but if U behave in a bad way every effort will be useless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point, thank you. I agree, thinking with the conduct of a Buddha is one thing, but the important thing is our behaviour. Thank you for sharing. nmhrk

      Delete