Wednesday 6 February 2013

Daily Gosho - Flowering and Bearing Grain

Mentor & Disciple relationship eh. Easy to read, easy to say, but a lot harder to 'feel' perhaps? What  has your experience been like? 

Developing my mentor disciple relationship has truly revolutionised my practice, but I will be honest, it did take some time! I used to read Sensei's guidance, think it was wonderful, but I wonder actually how much I 'lived' the guidance. I think mine was very much the first out of the three disciple relationships: 

1) Someone who believes 2) Someone who believes and takes action 3) Someone who believes, takes action and stands up with their mentor to achieve their vow.

As part of my 3rd May determinations I set last year, I'm really striving to practice every day as a true disciple of Sensei, and seek his heart.. I ask myself, 'What would Sensei do?' in situations where I'm stuck for an answer and this way of practising has really opened up my life... 

More guidance on the oneness of mentor and disciple can be found at Mentor Disciple Relationship. Would be great to share experiences too on how other members practice with our mentor's spirit... thank you!

"If teacher and disciple are of different minds, they will never accomplish anything."

(Flowering and Bearing Grain - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 909) http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=909 Selection source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shimbun, October 23rd, 2012


Background

Nichiren Daishonin sent this message from Minobu in the fourth month of 1278 for the second memorial service for Dozen-bo. Dozen-bo had been a senior priest at Seicho-ji temple, where the Daishonin entered the priesthood. The Daishonin studied under him from the age of twelve. The letter was addressed to his former seniors at Seichoji, Joken-bo and Gijo-bo.
When Nichiren Daishonin first declared the teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo at Seicho-ji in 1253, he strongly refuted the dominant Pure Land school. Tojo Kagenobu, the steward of the village and an ardent Pure Land believer, became enraged and ordered his arrest. Dozen-bo helped the Daishonin escape. However, fearing the others, Dozen-bo remained a priest of Seicho- ji to the end of his life, but the Daishonin never forgot his former teacher.
In the seventh month of 1276, having learned of Dozen-bo’s death, the Daishonin wrote On Repaying Debts of Gratitude in honor of his memory and sent it to Joken-bo and Gijo-bo.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wondering for so many years "what Sensei would do" "what Sensei would say" and so on that I almost forget my role of Disciple: to attain buddhahood as I am, to do kosen rufu my own way, not Sensei way; otherwise I would not be a disciple, aiming at his human revolution, but just a puppet, acting someone else play.
    So please listen carefully to Sensei teachings, but have your own opinion and act by yourself, do not wait for someone else to tell you what to do: do your best to improve yourself and world around you and you will become a real Sensei disciple.

    ReplyDelete