Tuesday 11 December 2012

Daily Gosho - The Unity of Husband and Wife


So this is my dream; that my husband and I are united in faith, working for kosen-rufu together. We are a long way away at the moment from this! My practice brings up a lot of anger in my husband, and I face opposition every day. But I am determined to be victorious - this situation has to be transformed by my husband seeing the actual proof in my life. I will report back :)

"You will grow younger, and your good fortune will accumulate."

(The Unity of Husband and Wife - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 464) http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=463&m=0&q= Selection Source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shinbun, September 20th, 2012


Background

In the first month of the twelfth year of Bun’ei (1275), Nichigen-nyo, the wife of Shijo Kingo, informed Nichiren Daishonin that she had turned thirty-three, an age thought to be unlucky for women, and sent offerings. This letter, dated the twenty-seventh day of the same month, is the Daishonin’s reply. In response to Nichigen-nyo’s apprehensions, he assures her that a woman who embraces the Lotus Sutra surpasses all other people, and that, if her faith is strong, she will certainly be protected by the Buddhas and Buddhist gods.
The Daishonin praises Shijo Kingo as foremost among all Buddhist lay believers; as his wife, Nichigen-nyo is also foremost among the women in Japan. “The wisteria depends on the pine tree, and a woman depends on a man” reflects the structure of Japanese society in the medieval period, when a woman’s fortunes were largely determined by her husband. What the Daishonin urges here, however, is that Nichigen-nyo follow her husband in faith. This shared faith of husband and wife is the “unity” referred to in this letter’s title and forms the ideal basis of marriage.


No comments:

Post a Comment