Friday 6 July 2012

Daily Study - Examinations... do we really need them?

Some may say 'not'. Some may say 'why not'. In my experience, I've come to realise what wonderful benefits appear when I devote my time and energy to study.  Out of the three practices, I've always found study to be the one I've struggled with, and I admit that I've put it to the bottom of the to-do list at times!
But after taking on the responsibility of hosting 'Basics of Buddhism' meetings, I determined to study more so that I could encourage and support other members, especially guests and Naitoku. And if I was going to support, I actually needed to know the material inside out. I would not have felt like I was truly caring for the members without that deep knowledge and confidence to relay it in a meeting.
Sensei Ikeda gives us the guidance that we should live the Gosho through our daily lives. I often find myself rushing to my 'Writings of Nichiren Daishonin' to read that one particular quote which is going to get me through whatever-the-challenge. I have so many personal favourites. There is always one that I think - yep, that's it...that's the attitude I need to take. That's the spirit in which I need to practice with. 
With study comes a deepening of faith. And our deepening faith inspires us to practice even harder. I see it as a circle, where I can do my human revolution at each stage.
Anyone else planning on doing the exams this year? Would love to hear how you fit study into your daily life!
And for more inspiration: http://www.sgi.org/news/events/events2012/ssa-members-take-buddhist-elementary-level-study-exam.html

No comments:

Post a Comment